- Feature / UgandaIn Gulu, Uganda, teenage artists make a living selling animal sculptures on the streets. Moses Odokonyero reports.
- Story / The GambiaThe Gambia is developing its tourism sector to help alleviate poverty, but there is a need for long-term development strategies that focus on other sectors, writes Emily Smith.
- Feature / Democratic Republic of the CongoIn the DRC less than a third of the roads are currently usable. A major donor-funded infrastructure project aims to change that. Valérie Bah spoke to Augustin Kabamba, an official with the DRC’s Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure, about the project.
- Feature / UgandaWith dwindling support for social services from NGOs, Gulu town council is rolling out a five-year plan to increase revenue. Moses Odokonyero reports.
- Feature / The GambiaFaced with high youth unemployment, how can The Gambia produce productive human capital? By Emily Smith.
- Feature / South SudanHow a new recycling program in the world’s youngest nation is cutting plastic pollution. By Gabriela Jacomella.
- Feature / Democratic Republic of the CongoIn the first in a series of reports for The Global Urbanist and Urban Africa, Valérie Bah wonders if Kinshasa's socioeconomic ills and a lack of adequate governance make it difficult to imagine a brighter future for the city.
- Feature / UgandaLack of funds has kept roads in Gulu, northern Uganda, in a shoddy state. A World Bank grant is set to change that, although challenges remain. Moses Odokonyero interviewed Gulu Municipality’s engineer, Terence Odonga about the state of roads in his town.
- Feature / KenyaIn Nairobi moves are afoot to explore the city’s colonial history as part of uncovering the city’s present day identity. Sheila Kamunyori reports.
From our partners
The Global Urbanist
- Jan202014Cape Town Call for papers: 'Healthy Cities for Children: Urbanisation, urban planning and the wellbeing of children Symposium
- Mar32014Cape TownTrain-the-Trainer and Cultural Leadership training at the African Arts Institute (AFAI), in Cape TownWorkshop
- Jun222014East LondonSociety of South African Geographers' 10th ConferenceConference
- Jul202014Nigeria2nd Faculty of Arts International Conference: Interrogating African Development through its Heritage Resource Conference
- Dec312013PortugalCIDADES Journal Permanent Call for PapersCall for Papers
- Dec312013GhanaCall for Paper for Volume 6, 2014 edition of Cape Coast Journal of HumanitiesCall for Papers
- Jan132014Toronto Call for expression of interest 2014/15 connecting divided placesCall for Proposals
- Feb182014FranceFree online course on "Villes africaines: une introduction à la planification urbaine" Academic Programme
This study explores the process of urbanisation in Port Sudan and the challenges and opportunities it presents. In particular, it aims to deepen...